Sorry I misread what the question was asking since I have run into MySQL
related problems that are not problems in other databases, so I just wanted
to check that out.  You would have to have some function that could read a
resultset similar to the "select * from colors where data !='blue';" since
MySQL does not allow you to just have the id returned.  Once you have the
ids you need in a resultset you may just read unique id's and store it in a
list.

By the way have you had a chance to make the ids unique when calling the
statement.  My sytax is not correct since I just tried it, but the query
should be similar to "select unique id from colors where data != 'blue';".
I am going to try and find some information on using unique, but I think I
remember also having a problem with using unique.  Please let me know if
this was of help since I think we both will be having problems that are not
related but are isomorphically logical.

Sorry for the confusion, and I don't know perl, but I do know that when you
make a field the primary key, it uses a hash function to find that id.