Saqib Shaikh writes:

> I'm interested to know what data type people consider suitable for storing
> currency.

As far as I know, the way to do it is to store the number of
the smallest possible unit as an integer of some sort. You'll
never run into any odd floating point-to-decimal conversion
problems, but you might need to use BIGINT if you decide to
to have many decimal places or if you're dealing with big
numbers.
If you use INT and store the price in cents, you'll run into
problems around $20M. (I just use USD as an example.) To
reduce rounding errors when converting back and forth, and to
accomodate for a wide range of currencies, you might want to
store more decimals for some currencies than for others.
On the other hand, sums should always add up correctly, so
this might be a stupid suggestion.

//C

--
 Carl Troein - Círdan / Istari-PixelMagic - UIN 16353280
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://pixelmagic.dyndns.org/~cirdan/