Bill Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:

> Fulko Hew wrote:
>
> > I am using mySQL 3.22.4a-beta
> > yes, I know its old :-(
> >
> > I have just stumbled across a problem with how it
> > treats 'uniqueness' in table contents.
> >
> > I have a table with a column defined as:
> >
> >   create table test (name varchar(80) not null);
> >   alter table test ADD UNIQUE (name), ADD INDEX (name);

> If you want this to be case sensitive you need to add "BINARY" to any '*char'
> columns:
>
>   create table test (name varchar(80) BINARY not null);
>   alter table test ADD UNIQUE (name), ADD INDEX (name);

Of course you are right, and despite the fact I've just spent an hour
searching the manual for this and _not_ seeing it.
I do another search, and yes, there it is staring me in the face.
(duh, sound of hand slapping on forehead)
Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-681-5570
Senior Engineering Designer,         Fax:    905-681-5556
SITA (Burlington)                    Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
777 Walkers Line,
Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7N 2G1