Giuseppe Maxia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> responded:

> The workaround is to use the attribute BINARY for your field
> create table test (myfield varchar(80) BINARY not null, UNIQUE KEY myfield);
> This way, the index is case sensitive.
>
> Unfortunately, this feature was introduced in MySQL 3.23, so your current server
> is not able to deal with it.

Actually it _is_ documented in my 3.22.x book, so its older than that.
It appears to have been added at 3.21.0

Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-681-5570
Senior Engineering Designer,         Fax:    905-681-5556
SITA (Burlington)                    Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
777 Walkers Line,
Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7N 2G1