[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'll agree with you but - when I shutdown my linux box or restart it, it tries
> to stop the mysql server and it can't. The command /etc/init.d/mysqld stop
> should work and it isn't. The question is why can't I stop the mysql server with
> this command. As a matter of fact, using /etc/init.d/mysqld stop restart  fails
> when it tries the stop. There has to be something convoluted in one of the
> script files. Besides that, I'm not the only one with this issue.
> thanks

This is really a distribution issue then.  But I would look inside the
init.d/mysqld script and see if it is calling mysqladmin or not.  If it is: Does it
have the full path to mysqladmin?  Did you set the root password in MySQL and now
need to specify it in the file, e.g.: "mysqladmin -pthe.root?password shutdown"?

b.