I asked before, but got no answer, so I ask again, but refrase myself a
little

Is it possible in myslq to do an order by before an group by?
as far as I know, the order by will happen after the group by, and sort all
the grouped rows(I assume that when grouping it just takes the first found
unique row), but what I'd really would like to do is sort the results before
grouping so that
I can controle which rows are to be presented back to me...

the only way right now for me is to skip the group by in mysql, and do an
own group by in the program, but I guess that if
it is possible to do in mysql it would be faster since there would atleast
be less to transfer from mysql to my application (java/jdbc based)

or are there other tricks I can use to get what I want?

/Christian Andersson