Hi.

If I understand correctly what you want to archieve, this is covered
in the tutorial part of the manual:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/e/x/example-Maximum-column-group-row.html

and the short answer is "no, only with temporary tables, until
sub-queries are implemented".

Bye,

        Benjamin.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 10:30:24PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I asked before, but got no answer, so I ask again, but refrase myself a
> little
>
> Is it possible in myslq to do an order by before an group by?
> as far as I know, the order by will happen after the group by, and sort all
> the grouped rows(I assume that when grouping it just takes the first found
> unique row), but what I'd really would like to do is sort the results before
> grouping so that
> I can controle which rows are to be presented back to me...
>
> the only way right now for me is to skip the group by in mysql, and do an
> own group by in the program, but I guess that if
> it is possible to do in mysql it would be faster since there would atleast
> be less to transfer from mysql to my application (java/jdbc based)
>

> or are there other tricks I can use to get what I want?
>
> /Christian Andersson
[...]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]