On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am using 4.0 and switching from MyISAM to InnoDB,
>  so quite newbie on this:

I'm still using 3.23.4X (differs depending on which machine I'm on), but
I'm pretty sure that none of the questions have answers that change too
much between those versions.

> 1) First, I read in the docs that the minimal thing to
> do is to add to /etc/my.cnf
> innodb_data_file_path=ibdata/ibdata1:2000M
> (although the ibdata file is some 67M in /var/lib/mysql)
> which resulted in me not being able to connect
>  with /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &

INNODB deals with fixed file sizes, so it was trying to create a 2000MB
data file in /var/lib/mysql.  I'm assuming that you don't have that much
free space there, or if you did, you didn't wait for mysqld to create the
entire file.  It has to do that before it starts up.

> 2) I also assume that in the same database it is NOT
> possible to have some InnoDB and some MyISAM tables.
>  Is that right?

It's quite possible.  So easy I've done it on accident.

> 3) Assuming I manage to get /etc/my.cnf right,
> I understand that:
> a) mysqld should not be started automatically
> Is that right?

Correct, assuming your installation didn't throw the startup somewhere
where it will get run.

> b) I do not need to recreate the database,
>  just do an ALTER TABLE for all database tables, right?

Are you using ALTER TABLE to change from MyISAM to INNODB?  If so, yes, if
not, I don't know why you would need to use ALTER TABLE.

> Spiros Alexiou
> P.S> I am moving from MyISAM because of bad corruption
> problems. Is it possible to get table corruption with
> InnoDB and if so, under what circumstances?

I haven't seen any InnoDB corruption yet.  We've probably written 10GB of
data out to various table so far.  When were you seeing MyISAM
corruption?  If the computer was running appparently stable, then MyISAM
may not have been at fault, and InnoDB may not run any better.