On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 03:18:58AM -0800, Bennett Haselton wrote:

> >Hmm... I'm sure plenty of people would disagree strongly with your
> >remark of bad OO support in Perl. But, that is beside the
> >point. You could either search CPAN (http://www.cpan.org/) and see
> >if you find what you need there (Surely somebody had the same
> >problem already), and if not, take a look at the AUTOLOAD "magic"
> >sub in Perl (that'd be perldoc perlsub, search for 'Autoloading').
>
> I can't do it in Perl.

What's "it"?

> I can't even quantify the amount of money we've already lost by
> using Perl.

Funny, I can't imagine to begin to quantify the amount of time (or
money) we've saved by using Perl!

But this isn't a language war (yet?).

> By not supporting OO, I mean things like the fact that if you define
> a member function of a class, then
>
>          $classname::functionname($arg1, $arg2);
> and
>          $classname->functionname($arg1, $arg2);
>
> will both compile, but one is a static function that passes the
> class name as the first argument, and the other is a non-static
> function that passes the arguments as listed.

What's the prototype on functionname() look like?  Using a prototype
of ($$$) would have made that a compile-time error, so don't blame
Perl!

> No one on any Perl list that I'm on could make sense of why they did
> that.

Why who did what?

> If you wanted a static function, you'd make it static; otherwise,
> you'd make it non-static.

How, exactly?

> The way Perl does it, you have to put some logic at the beginning of
> your function to check whether the first argument is the class name,
> and if it is, branch into the "static" function code, or else branch
> to the "non-static" function code.

Well, most folks write methods and only write them to be called as
methods.  If their first argument isn't an object ref, they should
bail.

Mixing "static" and "dynamic" stuff in a single function doesn't sound
like a good idea to me (unless you're talking about new(), which is
typically a constructor).

> Bizarre.  I think that to the maximum extent possible, a programming
> language should ensure that a typo will cause the program *not to
> run*, instead of running and doing something unexpected.

Oh, you just want a strictly typed language.  Then Perl is certainly
not for you.  Maybe C++ is more up your alley.

> Has anyone used a beta of Visual Studio .NET enough to know if it can do
> all of this?  i.e. being able to do something along the lines of

Which language?  .NET is not a language.  It's a framework.

>          user myuser = user.GetObjectFromTableRow("bennett");
>          myuser.sendReminders();
>          myuser.emailaddress = '[EMAIL PROTECTED]';
>
> in three lines -- with Perl and MySQL it takes about 20.

Assuming that someone has already built a good "user" class, you can
also do it in three lines of Perl.  Or Python.  Or VisualBasic.  Or
whatever.  I think that then language really isn't the issue in this
case.

> I think there are some purposes that free, open-source software is
> better suited for (security protocols and other well-defined
> problems that don't change with a constantly changing technological
> environment), however the question of when and when not to use open
> source software is clouded by the notion that open-source software
> is always better.  If I'm going to be using an IDE to do rapid
> application development, I want a **closed-source**, **proprietary**
> system that **costs money** :)

And you're free to choose whatever you'd like.  I've used both and
have had success with both.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 71 days, processed 1,555,847,080 queries (253/sec. avg)