Hello Sandeep!

> I am trying to insert data from a form which has 4 fields such that the data
> always sits at the top in my database occupying locations :
>
> SEC_ID: 1, 2 , 3 & 4
>
> Everytime i insert data the data gets appended at the end i,e, if  the first
> 4 fields are occupied my data takes the postions 5,6,7 & 8 but this wont
> do..

Well, if you have a TABLE that contains x records, and you INSERT y
records, you now have x + y records. That is the purpose of INSERT and
fortunately there is no way around that fact. :)

> Can anyone pl help me out with a suitable query to achieve the same??

Sure! Try UPDATE. You will (as it says in O'Reilly,) 'change actual data
within a table without altering the table itself.' Meaning you won't be
adding or deleting any records, simply adjusting existing records.

Have a :) day!

jb

--
jim barchuk