Hi,
I have been through a similar case. I am working for a large organization, which
had the Human Resources data scattered through seven different Access databases
counting about 200K records.
The challange was not only to migrate them, but also to unify into one armonized
structure.

I made a prototype with MySQL, after a cursory data migration, with ONE MILLION
records (between real and simulated ones), which showed the potential users most
of the benefits in matter of reliability, speed, accessibility and security.

The users were fascinated. The IT department not so much, since they had in mind
a more expensive tool (which, under the most optimistic view, is not going to be
deployed before 18 months) and they don't like the open source philosophy.
However, since the users were so supportive, I got over the opposition and managed
to finish the project. Now I have 100 days uptime in my server and of course
the users love it.

The key part was the business case that I proposed to the users. With a prototype,
they were able to appreciate the difference and support my choice.

Best of luck
Giuseppe