Today, I started a temporary position at the US Export/Import Bank. They're
a government agency that provides loans and other financing servies to small
exporters and importers who can't get funds from their local banks.

They put me to work cleaning up the database of their marketing division,
which sends out direct mail, faxes, and e-mails, among other things. Besides
being poorly organized, etc., there's a serious flaw: they're using MS
Access 2000 to manage over 350K records.

While speaking with my boss, she mentioned that they were looking to go away
from Access, as it crashed regularly and had major trouble handling that big
of a load. They were particularly concerned, since the database is projected
to grow to 1 million records in the next year or two. I mentioned MySQL as a
possible solution, explained the concept of open-source software, and got
her intrigued.

I'm very much uncertain about how to take the next step, though. I'd like to
be able to present her with a good sales pitch for MySQL, but I don't really
know enough about it to make one up (I'm still very much a newbie to it,
though I do like it so far). Since I'm sure this sort of thing has come up
before, I'm wondering if you can point me to any good resources,
particularly as they might relate to the US Gov't, banks, or direct mailing
agencies.

Alex Kirk