Fra: mweb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sendt: 18. november 2001 11:02
Til: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Emne: Mysql start on RH Linux 7.1

Hello,

I have the following Mysql installed on a RH 7.1 PC:

mysql-server-3.23.36-1
mysql-3.23.36-1
mysql-devel-3.23.36-1
php-mysql-4.0.4pl1-9
mysqlclient9-3.23.22-4
unixODBC-mysql-2.0.7-1

If I try to start Mysql as root, as explained in:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/t/Starting_server.html

I get the following errors (this is the first time I ever do Mysql
stuff on this particular box). I have not clear what I should do
*before* starting to use Mysql for the first time. I was going to just
create databases and insert tables in them at the prompt, but I'm
stuck before that point. THe errors I get as root are:

[root@po bin]# safe_mysqld &
[1] 22725
[root@po bin]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/var/lib/mysql
011118 10:52:56  mysqld ended

[root@po bin]# mysqladmin variables
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!

mysql.sock does exists

If I try as normal user:

[mweb@po mweb]$ safe_mysqld
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
/usr/bin/safe_mysqld: /var/log/mysqld.log: Permission denied
rm: cannot unlink `/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock': Permission denied
/usr/bin/safe_mysqld: /var/log/mysqld.log: Permission denied
tee: /var/log/mysqld.log: Permission denied

[mweb@po mweb]$ /usr/libexec/mysqld
011118 10:50:52  Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Address
already in use
011118 10:50:52  Do you already have another mysqld server running on
socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock ?
011118 10:50:52  Aborting