(me looking down, ashamed...)
Of course.... Usual RH style. I know it and use  it for many other
services, but for God knows which reason I just did not think about it
this time. Maybe because I only wanted to experiment, not use it as a
regular daemon to start at boot time every time..

Now it starts regularly!
Next step is figure out how to access it from PHP/unixODBC with the
following packages installed (again, any clue is welcome: for same
reason DBMS programming dumbs me down much more than any other kind of
problem):

mysql-server-3.23.36-1
MyODBC-2.50.39-1
unixODBC-devel-2.0.7-1
mysql-3.23.36-1
mysql-devel-3.23.36-1
php-mysql-4.0.4pl1-9
unixODBC-2.0.7-1
unixODBC-generic-2.0.7-1
mysqlclient9-3.23.22-4
unixODBC-mysql-2.0.7-1

        Thank you!
                          mweb

--
You can't build a reputation on what you are "going" to do.
                                                        Henry Ford