On Monday 19 November 2001 09:51, you wrote:
> Hello,
> started a new compiled MysqlDataBase on my local Machine
> everything okay sofar.
> added a ./bin/mysqladmin -u root password '********' (password omitted)
> no problem
> I tried it several times to log in to create a database but only getting
>
> this:
> >behrens@ws8:/home/behrens/behrens_local/mysql-3.23.44.bin > cd
> >behrens@ws8:/home/behrens > mysqladmin -p create BIBLIOS;
> >Enter password: *********
> >mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> >error: 'Access denied for user: 'behrens@localhost' (Using password:
>
> YES)'
>
> All permissions on the various files are for "behrens", i don`t know
> what is wrong,newbie that i am
>
> Best regards and thanks already
> janB

You probably haven't created a MySQL user 'behrens'.

Try
  mysqladmin -uroot -p create BIBLIOS;

to connect as the existing root user.

Note: there is no correspondence between MySQL users and local system users.

HTH

--
Ian Barwick - Developer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
akademie.de asp GmbH - http://www.akademie.de

"To query tables in a MySQL database is more fun than eating spam"