Hi!

On Nov 26, sherzodR wrote:

> Use "%" instead of "*"
>
> cheers
> --
> sherzodR
>

> On 26 Nov 2001, Harald Fuchs wrote:
>
> >According to the manual, section "New Features of Full-text Search to
> >Appear in MySQL 4.0":
> >
> >* `*' is a truncation operator.
> >
> >The query
> >  SELECT COUNT(*) FROM documents WHERE MATCH(txt) AGAINST ('Versailles')
> >returns 2, but
> >  SELECT COUNT(*) FROM documents WHERE MATCH(txt) AGAINST ('Versaill*')
> >returns 0  on MySQL 4.0.
> >
> >Is this a bug, or do I misunderstand the meaning of "truncation"?

First - no, according to the manual '*' is a truncation operator, not
'%', so your syntax is correct.

Second - probably it's a bug. I cannot say much as the code used by this
query was removed from MySQL source tree. It was replaced by completely
new boolean search engine written from scratch. Unfortunately it was
done several days _after_ 4.0.0 release.

Wait for 4.0.1 - it should be out in a few days.

Regards,
Sergei

--
MySQL Development Team