On Monday, November 26, 2001, at 11:34  AM, Michael Collins wrote:

> No, it is not found on "Downloads for the 3.23 version" at:
>
> http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html
>
> Look for:
>
> MacOS X downloads
> Binary packages (tar.gz)
> MySQL 3.23.45 MacOS X Server 1.x (PowerPC) (4.7M)
> MySQL 3.23.43 MacOS X 10.0.x (Darwin 1.3.x) (PowerPC) (4.6M)

Michael,

I just realized that the binary there is for Mac OS X Server, not
"client".  I'm sorry.  I didn't notice the difference at first.

> I suppose I could compile my own, but the binary is a lot more
> convenient. I am just wondering if any special options were included. I
> suppose then that it is the default.

You're right, it's a lot quicker.  I just compiled 3.23.45 with these
options (following instructions from
http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/osdb.html ):

localhost:mysql-3.23.45$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql \
--with-unix-socket-path=/usr/local/mysql/run/mysql_socket \
--with-mysql-user=mysqladm \
--with-comment \
--with-debug

make

sudo make install

And that overwrote my old 3.23.44 source install (which had the same
configure options) but preserved the data in my /usr/local/mysql/var
directory.  Also, it looks like the owners and groups of the directories
are also all intact (I think make install takes care of this by
default).  The directory tree for the binary is a bit different (I tried
it once) but this setup seems to work for me -- the "bin/mysqladmin
shutdown" command works great now!!  (No more "flush tables ; kill -9
%1" or any of that!)

My thanks to the developers for taking into account the needs of Darwin
users in their work -- we won't be a minority for long!

Erik