> then I should be able to issue this command:
> cat lefeber.txt | /apache/mysql -u MyUserName -pMyPassword lefeber
> Why does it tell me that /apache/mysql is a directory (duh) and break the
pipe?

It really means to pipe that file to the mysql command line client, not the
mysql directory.  Try

cat lefeber.txt | /apache/mysql/bin/mysql -u MyUserName -pMyPassword lefeber

or just

cat lefeber.txt | mysql -u MyUserName -pMyPassword lefeber

if the command line client is in your path.

Cheers,
Ryan Fox