On Monday, November 26, 2001, at 02:38  PM, Ben Ocean wrote:

> But I have a backup, if I just knew how to restore it! The instructions
> read:
> #mysqldump --opt database_name > database_name_File.txt
> To restore database:
> #cat database_name_File.txt | /path/to/mysql -u username -p
> database_name
>
> So, if my installation is at /apache/mysql
> and the database is /apache/mysql/lefeber
> and my backup is /apache/mysql/lefeber.txt
> then I should be able to issue this command:
> cat lefeber.txt | /apache/mysql -u MyUserName -pMyPassword lefeber
> Why does it tell me that /apache/mysql is a directory (duh) and break
> the pipe?
> BenO

It looks like you're trying to pipe the "cat lefeber.txt" command into a
directory (because it looks like on your system, /apache/mysql is a
directory that contains other files such as /apache/mysql/lefeber).  I
think the command you want to try would be something like

cat lefeber.txt | /apache/mysql/bin/mysql -u MyUserName -pMyPassword
lefeber

Try that, it seems to make more sense (though I am hardly a
knowledgeable person about data recovery in MySQL).

Erik