John,
Mac OS X isn't the same Mac OS that you've been going on "for the last
10 years." Its a radical departure. Mac OS 1 thru 9 were basically the
same technology. They had no protected memory and no pre-emptive
multitasking. Mac OS X is based on NextSTEP. Its a Unix. A real Unix. So
just about anything you would have on FreeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD you
would have on Mac OS X/Darwin. The userland for Mac OS X is taken
directly from FreeBSD, albeit an older version and Apple has recently
hired the FreeBSD release engineer to help co-ordinate their Unix
technologies. So I don't know why you would even presume to judge Mac OS
X as "crap" based on the old Mac OS's history. Its not the same ol Mac
OS. Its new and its better.

As to the guy's response, I saw nothing in it that was "defenseive" or
even argumentative. If you cannot tolerate someone asking you to clarify
your position then you need to get off a mailing list.