David,

I currently run a system with Raid 5. I have had one disk drop, however,
no data was lost. That is one of the beauties of RAID 5, you have a
spare disk that takes over.

I too had heard originally that running MySQL on a RAID 5 was a bad idea
(this, after I already had it running...), however, I have not had any
problems at all.

  --  Jason