On Friday 30 Nov 2001 16:33, Jason Burfield wrote:

First of all, the idea of data loss because one disk has gone bad on RAID-5
is not possible. RAID-5 specifically allows you to loose up to 1 disk at any
one time, and stay active.

The reason why RAID-5 is not recommended for MySQL is speed. RAID-5 requires
parity bits to be calculated and spread across all your disks for every write
you do. For every read, this all has to be decoded. This means that the file
system is slower, which is not very helpful for a database.

I am running SCSI RAID-5 (Linux - software only), and I have had no problems.
I have lost a disk from a stripe before, and no data was ever corrupted. You
just put in a new disk and rebuild the data on it. It's as simple as that.

RAID tends not to mess up the performance too much is you are running SMP (if
you've got multiple CPUs, it is easier to find time on them to do the RAID-5
checksumming) and you have lots of RAM to keep things nicely cached.

Regard.

Gordan