At 16:11 30/11/2001 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,

I don't understand very well your problem, anyway here some
informations:

Using the MySQL Server as Service

To start/stop options:
1- net start mysql/net stop mysql
2- using the SCM (Service Control Manager)
3- using the WinMySQLAdmin

When the server is running as service you can't to use the
tool mysqladmin with the parameter shutdown

Setting the MySQL environment

Creating and editing either c:\my.cnf or c:\windir\my.ini, not both.

Using the MySQL server at the DOS prompt

To start/stop options

mysqld --standalone --console/mysqladmin shutdown

In the start you can use others parameters (see the manual) or the
server should read the configuration file above mentioned too.

Using the mysql.exe client tool

mysql -u user_name -p
Enter password: the_password_for_the_user_name

If you have a fresh install, the server permits the mysql client
connection without any user and his password.

Regards,
Miguel

>I'm running MySQL on Windows2k. The service is installed and I can start it
>with the WinMySQLAdmin Tool, but I have trouble to shutdown the server on a
>DOScommand window with 'mysqladmin shutdown'. I also can't connect to the
>server at localhost, and I can't start MySQL as a service with 'mysqld -l'
>- only
>as standalone.
>What is wrong with it?
>
>Any help is appreciated.   Nils
>
>--
>GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet.
>http://www.gmx.net

For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Miguel A. Solórzano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   MySQL AB, FullTime Developer
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   Mogi das Cruzes - Săo Paulo, Brazil
        <___/   www.mysql.com