Dear Hoa,

RE>>> I have the mysql server running.  I can't connect to it though.  It
reads,
> "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'.
-------------

Stop it, (either mysqld or mysql), then start again.   On my servers, the
mysql startup script is in /etc/init.d and /etc/rc.d/init.d.  You enter
./mysql stop
as root.  DO this in order to actually see the daemon stop and start again.
WIth Linux, you should see a message that states that it is [done].

If you still get errors, send the syntax of how you are attempting to
connect,  after you do the following.  (You'll have to know your root
password).

#mysql -u root -p

The system will prompt you for the password.   If this you have not changed
the password, then it is null so just hit enter.  Otherwise, simply enter
your password and press enter.  When you have the
mysql>
prompt, then type
<connect mysql> without the <>.

The sytem will show you are connected to the mysql database, and give a
connection number.
Type
<show tables *>

and then
<quit>.

Now go to the online documentation and read at least three or four chapters.
Create a few tables, do some simple selects, then come back here for your
next assignment.  :-)

Ciao!

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.

On Thursday 23 May 2002 12:33 am, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the mysql server running.  I can't connect to it though.  It reads,
> "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'.
>
> -Hoa

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.