From: Philip Mak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 9:59 PM
To: MySQL Mailing List
Subject: MySQL v.s. Oracle

Hi all,

We are currently using MySQL for our database driven website. Currently,
we have about 100,000 users. In January, we will be getting 2 million
new registered users on our website.

We're buying a $50,000 Sun box to run the database server on. We're
deciding whether we should switch to Oracle. Can MySQL handle this kind
of load? The president (who doesn't know much about databases) was
thinking about buying Oracle, but from what I've heard, Oracle is
actually slower than MySQL since it needs to check FOREIGN KEYs,
TRIGGERs, ASSERTIONs, etc.

Can someone provide some advice? Thanks. My main concern is whether that
massive scale (2 million registered users, along with all the data and
CPU load they generate) is supported by MySQL.