Hi there,

I feel for you.  Been there myself before I installed a firewall router.
(Very useful, BTW, to restrict access to only your customers IPs instead of
the whole world.)

There isn't really enough info provided here to know for sure, but it might
be that when you were hacked, your inetd.conf file was hacked as well
closing services to the world.  Maybe even your MySQL user/hosts tables, so
check permissions there as well. Some rootkits will restrict access after
they have hacked a machine to make sure that their hack doesn't get
overwritten by some other hacker.  This can also lock you out of the machine
except from the direct console.

So you might want to check your inetd configuration and hit
http://www.sans.org, http://www.incidents.org, and http://www.dshield.org
for more info.  Things to search for might be t0rn rootkit, ramen worm,
l0in, etc.

Here's a link about the ramen worm to get you started.

http://www.sans.org/y2k/ramen.htm

It also contains a link to a script to detect the worm on your server.

Of course, after you get things a little more under control, you'll need to
reinstall OS, change passwords, etc.

You might also want to post the exploit via http://www.incidents.org.

Best of luck!
-Joe