Been there too.

Sounds like a 'script kiddy'.

You should check your hosts.allow/deny, then firewall
software configuration (ipchains?) files.  That MIGHT get
you into a functional situation.

Also, programs like 'ls', ps, netstat ,etc have been replaced on your
system, and you won't be able to delete then without special file
control knowledge.   Plan on spending a bunch of time or simply
rebuilding the server.
Check your root directory and the password file.

Fastest way to a working server is to build a new one and patch it
in, until you get the others working.

Good luck,

Kevin