Hi!

<cut>

Greg> We use the Sun's cc complier - this is the standard complier here on Spark /
Greg> Solaris.

The problem is that we don't have access to a system to a Solaris 8 system
with SUN cc installed.
(If anyone want to make one available to use to compile MySQL
binaries, you can always send an email to me about this :)

Greg> Have you had poblems with 64 bit gcc code ? One thing I've noticed is that
Greg> few people are doing 64bit work in the Open Source world (well, certainly
Greg> many perl XS modules are not 64 bit safe).  And I64 could hardly be called
Greg> "stable"!

I have used gcc on Linux Alpha and Linux Ia64 with good results.
Last time I checked this out, I saw some recommendation to not use
gcc 2.95. to compile 64 bit code for anything else than testing.

I just checked out sun-freeware and they have recently released gcc 3.0.2.
I am downloading this now and as soon as I get some time over I will
see if this can be used to generate 64 bit binaries.

Regards,
Monty