Hi Mike

> This command executes and immediately ends:
> > safe_mysqld --log &
>
> [2] 855
> root@linux:/var/lib/mysql > Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> /var/lib/mysql
> 011114 07:45:16 mysqld ended
>
> This command seems to run quite nicely:
> > safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables &
>
> Now the manual informs me to "From mysql, manually execute the
> SQL commands in mysql_install_db."
>
> 1) Huh ? (I am a Linux newbie - don't know how)
> 2) Can the mysql_install_db script be troubleshot and corrected ?
> 3) Will a newer version of MySQL run better on my SuSE Linux 7.1
> machine ?

First, calm down.

I gather you're running SuSE 7.1.  In that case, do you have the CDs?  MySQL
can be a bit of a bind for beginners (I should know) until you get used to
it, and it is easiest to get started with the version on the CDs.  Then, once
you are used to it, you can update to new versions (or a new boxed version of
SuSE, which will include them).

I am on 7.3, but looking at my notes for 7.1 I see I had the same problem.
The solution is probably similar.  Basically, you need to run
mysql_install_db first, to create the user db that MySQL needs in order to
start the daemon - that is why it is exiting unstarted.

So, install your packages.  Then go to wherever they are installed (if you
are using the SuSE CDs, this was in /usr/bin).  As root, run:
mysql_install_db
(running as user will give errors).  You should get messages about the
various tables being created.

Then (as root) run:
safe_mysqld &
You should get no "daemon ended" message.

You then need to set the password for the root user (mysqladmin -u root
password "whatever").  This is the standard method, but I have found that it
can end up giving you error messages about root@localhost not being allowed
access, which are confusing to a new user.  (The errors are because you also
need to specify the host).  So what I do is log on to MySQL without setting
the root password (mysql), and then run:
update user set password=password("whatever") where user="root";
and then:
flush privileges;
Exit, and log in again using root and the password.
The above sets the same password for both host entries (hostname and
localhost), so you don't have any hassle.

To see what I mean, logon as root and run:
use mysql;
select user,host,password from user;.

You should then delete the blank users (delete from user where user="";, and
then: flush privileges;).  To get MySQL to start automatically at boot, use
YaST (System Admin -> Change config file) to set START_MYSQL to "yes".

Try this, and see how it goes.  You won't want to go back to Access, believe
me!  You can do simple queries really easily in Access, but to do anything
more you need to use SQL in some form, and you might as well use a proper SQL
db for that.

As GIU clients for MySQL, I would recommend KMySQL on Linux, and MySQLFront
on Windows.

If you have further issues, post them to the list, and also separately to me.

Best wishes

Kevin