From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am new to dababases in general...

Learn SQL (which it sounds like you've done). It's almost always going to be the
standard tool between various database vendors and APIs.

> ...would like to use Visual Basic ...to edit the database.

I won't make any MickySoft vs. *NIX cracks. I'm not a VB person, but I'm thrilled to
see students working with real world tools. (In school, all I got was an abacus.) I
searched briefly on the mysql.com site and found a few listings.

  http://www.mysql.com/doc/manual.php?search_query=VB&depth=0

In short, it still looks like ODBC is the way to go. I've had folks connect their MS
Access and Crystal Reports via ODBC to my MySQL databases and only had limited
problems. For instance, the int() in MySQL was too big for Crystal Reports.

> -at least one way to connect to the Mysql database with VB6

To use ODBC, you set up a user/pass/host in MySQL to allow clients to connect. Then
you set up a DSN on your MS Windows machine that points at the MySQL host, using the
proper user/pass. You'll need the ODBC drivers, I can only suggest checking your VB
docs, and/or the "ODBC Data Sources" option in the Control Panel to figure this out.
As for writing the actual connect statement, I don't have the foggiest idea. Check the
docs that came with your compiler.

> -what commands I can use in VB6...

I can't help you there. Definately the docs that came with your compiler.

> ...a site that will point out how to use the commands

~Maybe~ microsoft.com. My experience is that their site is usually not very helpful.

> -can I use an SQL book for reference on commands

Yes, or the MySQL docs (section 6 on the mysql.com site). Unless you run into one of
the many situations where MicroSoft is claiming that they are using a standard when
they really aren't, then most of your SQL92 knowledge should just work through any API
on any SQL database. At the very least, if VB6 offers a direct SQL interface to MySQL,
then you should be able to do anything with SQL that MySQL says it supports.

> ...only a senior in high school

"Only"? In just a few years, you and your pals will be running the world.

> ...so I have no one to turn to except the internet and
> searching through the archives is the only help I have had so far.

Heh, join the club. Don't worry about your resources not being human beings. Finding
and maintaining a good set of documentation that works for you is a big part of what
makes you salable in the real world. Life on the job is an open book test; you don't
have to know everything, you just have to know how to find it fast enough to make your
boss happy.

> Any help with any of those questions is much appreciated.

I'm very encouraged to see a newcomer here. I hope that you get plenty of assistance
from this group. Hint, hint.

---
Rodney Broom
Programmer: Desert.Net