Welcome to the Club!

Connecting to a mySQL database would be the same way in VB6 as MS SQL or
Access, via ODBC.  You should download myODBC from mysql.com.

On Microsoft Oses it is easier to develop apps via ODBC because its like
saving you 5-10 lines of code to write.  If it's a web application and
you need to upload it to *Nix box, then you should NOT use ODBC.

As Brandon previously stated.

Microsoft sometimes say they have "standards in place" which really
means they made up their own *cough*java*cough*

The only database that is even NEAR the SQL92 standards is Microsoft's
MS SQL Server 6.5 - 2000, and this isn't even SQL92 standard!  Either is
Oracle ( I think)

I doubt that Microsoft will come out with documentation on VB front ends
with mySQL backends.  But I am sure there are people that do do it!  I
just find it easier with an HTML front end than VB or any other
programming language!

Good Luck!

Thank you,

Todd Williamsen, MCSE