I had to post this short note of Thank You to Monty Widenius..
I had struggled for over 6 months and several versions of MySQL
trying to get the source to compile without errors on Caldera 2.3
or 2.4. I continued to fail.
I upgraded Libc libraries and gcc makes but still failed.
Yeah, I got a compile and the Mysql engines ran but the make test
errors haunted me..

 After a number of postings on the list, Monty finally took pity on
me. A number of emails and suggested fixes, still no cure.
Monty then offered to telnet to the offending machine. A couple phome
calls later, Sweden to New York the telnet was set up.

 Monty worked on my hard drive and compiled a few version with various
make switches. In the end a source fix in the ha_myisammrg.cc and
all compiled and passes all tests. I am more than happy!

 Monty, THank You! The support at MySQL AB is great!
The support is worth the price of admission.

Bob T