On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 06:49, Carl Troein wrote:

> Tony Buckley writes:
>> I am not a great fan of Newsgroups - they get spammed too much and messages
>> get lost or archived.  Some ISPs carry them, some don't.  All too hit and
>> miss for a resource on which I rely and am very grateful for.

> I agree, but sadly enough the spam part is true for this list as
> well. I completely agree with whomever proposed to have this
> list modified to accept mails from subscribed people only

An alternative that has just been implemented on the PHP lists is to
keep an "approved" list of addresses in addition to a "subscribed"
list.  If mail is sent from either "approved" or "subscribed" addresses,
then it is sent on to the list.  Otherwise, an automated reply is sent
to the sending address that requires a reply to allow the post to go
through - this eliminates 99%+ of spam I'd bet - at least from examining
my Shred folder (I file the, uh, "stuff" there and feed it to an
anti-spam system called Razor once a day).  Anyway, if a reply is made
to the automated message, then the address is added to the "approve"
pile for future posts.

Billy

--
database,sql,query,table