even/odd is a little limiting, what happens down the road when another
site needs to be added.
A better method might be to use a unique session ID for each client site
in combination with a
generated sequence ID see the white paper
at:http://www.ambysoft.com/persistenceLayer.html
in particular the persistenceLayer.pdf document on that page.

Duncan Maitland wrote:

>My questions concern a setup where a public server is running at our
>hosting company and a local office server is behind a firewall
>(connected to the net via a somewhat unreliable ADSL).
>
>The servers are configured in a circular master-slave relationship but
>only a limited number of tables in the database are replicated between
>the two (public doesn't need all of them, so no use in replicating). Of
>these tables only 3 need to accept writes from both the public and
>office server (all the other writes happen at the office). Of those 3
>tables only 1 makes use of a unique primary key.
>

>So my questions are:
>
>1) Replicating a table with a primary key raises the possibility of
>conflicts if, while the office link is broken, two records are created
>with the same key. So I plan to generate my own keys in the project
>source code (without auto_increment) - the public site generates records
>with even numbers, the office site with odd numbers.
>
>Is this a reasonable setup or is there a more correct way? Out of
>interest, how will MySQL 4.0 replication handle this situation?
>

>2) MySQL docs state "It is possible for client A to make an update to
>co-master 1, and in the meantime, before it propagates to co-master 2,
>client B could make an update to co-master 2 that will make the update
>of client A work differently than it did on co-master 1. Thus when the
>update of client A will make it to co-master 2, it will produce tables
>that will be different than what you have on co-master 1, even after all
>the updates from co-master 2 have also propagated."
>
>Say the office link is down, and a particular record in the
>above-mentioned table is edited on both the public and office servers.
>When the servers re-sync will one record take precedence (if so, which
>one?) or does the public get one and the office get the other? The
>former seems to be the case when doing basic testing on my LAN at home,
>but the MySQL doc is confusing in that it implies the latter.
>

>To those of you who have read all the way down to here, I thank you very
>much! :)
>
>Cheers,
>from Duncan Maitland
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Regards,
Brent

interactivetools.com, inc.
Tel: (604)689-3347 - Fax: (604)689-3342 - Toll Free: 1(800)752-0455
Software for your Website - http://www.interactivetools.com/

Attachments accepted: TXT, HTML, RTF, PDF
I do not accept attachments which are capable of harbouring viruses,
for example Word for Windows. Please use File/Save As RTF or HTML.