Hi!

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Madscientist"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 10:44 PM
Subject: Circular replication

> Hi,
>
> We're doing something weird (what else is new). We're hoping to use
> MySQL as the base of a distributed database with peer replication. Most
> of the peering and control mechanisms will be in the core application
> code, but we're counting on MySQL's ability to replicate for some of the
> lower-level peer synchronization mechanisms. It appears from the docs
> that most of this will be straightforward, however it is not clear (or I
> missed it) if replication works with all table types.
>
> This is important because the issue of complex transactions has recently
> come up and we may need to use innodb tables.
>
> It is not entirely clear wether replication will work with innodb
> tables.
> We're hoping to use MySQL 4.x

MySQL replication works with InnoDB tables. Currently MySQL replication does
not support transactions completely, because commit marks are not written to
the binlog and the slave runs in the auto-commit mode. Thus a reader on the
slave may see half a transaction in his query. This restriction may be
removed soon because a potential license customer wants the commit marks to
the binlog.

> Can we build reliable, circular replication with innodb tables in MySQL?
>
> We will have the application pick a single master node for any
> particular table and/or database until all nodes are synchronized...
> Then the app will vote for a new master if needed.
>
> For example.
>
>        NODE1           NODE2            NODE3
>        MASTER OF A     MASTER OF B      MASTER OF C
>
> ...--->[ ABC ]-------->[ ABC ]--------->[ ABC ]----...
>
> Will this work with innodb.
> If not directly, then how?

If circular replication requires that several nodes are updated at the same
time, then you will bump into the inherent consistency/performance problems
of distributed databases. These problems are not specific to MySQL or
InnoDB, but to distributed transactions in general.

> Thanks in advacnce,
> _M

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com