it's not all that dangerous.  it just means that you can read your users'
passwords.  anyone who can read that db table can become any of your
users.  password fields are just another safeguard against a "just in case
someone gets read access to this" scenario.  they also serve to provide
more privacy to your users.  re: some of your users may not want you / the
admins of whatever service you're providing being able to read their
passwords.

but maybe you want to be able to read your users' passwords, for testing
purposes or whatever.

-tcl.