Jonathan Duncan wrote:

> 1 1/16"
> 3/8"
> 3/16"
> 1 5/32"
> 45º
> 10º
> 2 7/16"
>
> These aren't pretty numbers to enter into a database.  The simple way would
> be to enter them as CHAR's and forget about them, but then searching on that
> could cause problems.

If you're not going to be doing any calculations on the numbers, why
do they need to be a numeric type?  Just use CHAR or VARCHAR.

I suppose you might want to sort them numerically, but adding a
separate sort_order column might be easier than doing the
calculations to convert whatever numeric value you're storing into
something displayable.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Washington, DC