On Monday 17 December 2001 15:04, David VanHorn wrote:
> I killed all Mysql processes, and confirmed that they are killed (ps -ef |
> grep mysql)
> Then I restart with  safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables
> Trying to log in to mysql in any way, including mysql -h localhost mysql
> or mysql root  or mysql root -p gives me the failed password error again.

The only time I ever did this, I did the following:

- safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables

- mysql -u root mysql

- update user set password=password("mypass") where user="root";

- exit

- mysqladmin -u root reload

- mysql -uroot -p

- enter mypass

That allowed me back in with the correct password.

You don't seem to be including the -u marker in the options you have tried
above.

Kevin