On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:20:11 -0600, John Lepone
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I have recently installed MYSQL on my Mandrake 7.1 Linux box.  I connect to
| the DB as root.  When I try to create a new DB, I get the following error:
|
|               [jlepone@mandrake jlepone]$ su
|               Password:
|               [root@mandrake jlepone]# mysql -p
|               Enter password:
|               Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
|               Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 3.23.46-log
|
|               Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the
| buffer.
|
|               mysql> CREATE DATABASE mynewdb;
|               ERROR 1006: Can't create database 'mynewdb'. (errno: 28)
|               mysql>
|

| Likewise, if I try to add a table to an existing DB I get the following:
|
|               mysql> use test;
|               Database changed
|               mysql> CREATE TABLE mynewtable (mycolumn int);
|               ERROR 3: Error writing file './test/mynewtable.frm'
| (Errcode: 28)
|               mysql>
|
| can anyone help?

Check your ownerships and permissions. All the
directories and files in the mysql data dir should be
owned by your mysql user and mysql group.

Thanks,
Michael
--
Michael Brunson                          504.473.6643
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                 ICQ: 83163789