I have compiled and installed mysql on redhat 7.1

I am having a few problems.
1.) I compiled and installed as root then changed the ownership to the "dba"
account.
Will this cause any problems down the line.

2.) Is there s startup and shutdown script to put in /etc/rc.d/init.d or do
I have to write my own ?

3.) I su to the dba account and want to a set the superuser password (for
the mysql install not the OS) how can I do this.

4.) I su to the dba account and try to do anything I get eg:

[mysqldba@jordan bin]$ ./mysqladmin create bathjobs
./mysqladmin: CREATE DATABASE failed; error: 'Access denied for user:
'@localhost' to database 'bathjobs''

thanks in advance.

PS I am finding this list a great help.