I have been assigned the fun little job of porting a (very badly
designed) database from Access97 to MySQL so that we'd finally get
rid of that pesky Win2000-server.

The database contains a list of magazines currently in our basement
waiting for someone to borrow them. There are, at the moment, just
over 4500 records in the database, but when someone starts inserting
magazines, it'll be a tad over 100 000 records. Now, the problem is
that I'd somehow like to get all the magazine names into another table,
and references to that table in the first table without having to
change all the records by hand.

I have gotten the names of the magazines into a table with an
auto_incremented primary id field, but how could I get all the
same names away from both tables and only leave unique names?

--

Markus Lervik
Linux administrator with a kungfoo grip