Sergei Golubchik wrote:

> Mark, it's no point in discussing how things could be
> done in 3.23 branch - nothing can be changed there,
> this is exactly the reason we call it "stable".
>
> How to get rid of 50% threshold is explained in the manual -
> for MySQL-3.23.x the only way is to modify the source (one #define)
> and rebuild. Boolean search in MySQL-4.0 doesn't has 50% threshold.

I'm using version 4.

I tried using 'IN BOOLEAN MODE' under version 4.0.0 but it doesn't recognize
it. I'm using the MySQL 4.0.0-alpha Server (i386) (6.2M)  binary RPM.

Should I compile from source? I would like to but according to the website:
"If the compiler reports version 2.96, then there is a problem (this is the
case, for example on RH 7.x series or Mandrake 8.x). In this case, you should
not try to compile your own binary before downgrading to one of the compilers
mentioned above.".
I'd rather not downgrade my compiler.

The manual says "Since version 4.0.1 MySQL can also perform boolean fulltext
searches using IN BOOLEAN MODE modifier." but 4.0.1 is nowhere to be found.

I tried using the + operator (making all words required) hoping that it would
put the database into boolean mode and it would disregard the 50% threshold,
but I cant get it to return the score correctly with a query like:
mysql> SELECT id, body, MATCH title,body AGAINST (
    -> '+test +phrase') AS score
    -> FROM articles WHERE MATCH (title,body) AGAINST
    -> ('+test +phrase');

The scores returned are all equal to each other - and that of course does a
logical AND which is not what I want. I just want it to be ordered by 'best
match first' with a point score returned.

kind regards,

Mark.