Hi!

Heikki> Hi!
Heikki> Ok, I looked in the manual and found the following:

Heikki> http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/i/Silent_column_changes.html

<cut>

Heikki> So the bug is actually a 'feature'. Of course it would be better if the
Heikki> parser would not change declared types of columns. If a table handler wants
Heikki> to store CHAR columns like VARCHAR columns in some cases, it should make the
Heikki> decision at a lower level. It is not the parser's job to decide this.

This is how it will be done in 4.0.x.  In 3.23 we couldn't do this
because MySQL doesn't really have a VARCHAR type, but emulates this
with static and fixed row formats.

Heikki> To avoid that this feature prevents creation of foreign key constraints, I
Heikki> will allow a VARCHAR column to reference a CHAR column, and vice versa, in
Heikki> 3.23.47.

Heikki> Regards,

Sounds good!

Regards,