Why don't you install a Linux box at home instead? You'd have the advantage of
learning about configuration as well, plus the ability to tweak the packages as
you please. If you have no Linux experience you can always check out Mandrake
Linux which is extremely easy to install, even in dual-boot mode -- obviously,
you'll need a free partition though.

HTH

Bogdan