On Monday 24 Dec 2001 06:37, Michael Widenius wrote:

> - A Query cache to cache results for SELECT statements. This should
>   give a major speed improvement for queries on read-intensive tables.
>   More information can be found at:
>   http://www.mysql.com/doc/Q/u/Query_Cache.html

This is a rather useful feature, but I am not sure it is behaving quite the
way it is supposed to. The cache "expiration" seems to be triggered by all
insert statements, including the ones that fail, e.g. due to unique index
violations. Would it be possible to have the cache expire only if the data is
actually changed?

In my particular application, I have a lot of INSERT DELAYED queries running
in the background, and I rely on unique indices to keep the data, well,
unique. However, every time such a query is executed, indluding when all the
insertion attempts fail due to unique key violation, the cache seems to
"expire", and the search is performaed again "from scratch".

Is this something that can easily be "fixed" for the next release?

Regards.

Gordan