Philip,

>On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:18:38AM +0200, Heikki Tuuri wrote:
>: The MyISAM table obviously fit in the OS file cache, otherwise 1750 inserts
>: per second would not be possible. Did the table fit in the buffer pool of
>: InnoDB or the SGA of Oracle? Did you commit each insert individually in
>: InnoDB and Oracle?
>:
>: Setting
>:
>: innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0
>:
>: in my.cnf will speed up individual inserts if you can afford losing a few of
>: the last transactions in a crash. Did you configure the log files big enough
>: for InnoDB and Oracle?
>
>Are there guides out there for configuring these things?  What is
>a "big enough" log file?  Honestly, on a lot of stuff, I'm just
>guessing, but it takes a lot of time to fiddle with values, clean
>out the database, and then shove in 1 million rows to see the
>results.

yes, the manual at http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html contains instructions
and tuning tips.

I have just introduced a new sample my.cnf which will make setting the
values easier:
[mysqld]
# You can write your other MySQL server options here
# ...
#
innodb_data_home_dir = c:\ibdata
#                Data files must be able to hold your data and indexes
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:2000M;ibdata2:2000M

#                Set buffer pool size to 50 - 80 % of your computer's memory
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=70M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M

innodb_log_group_home_dir = c:\iblogs
innodb_log_arch_dir = c:\iblogs
#                .._arch_dir must be the same as .._log_group_home_dir
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
#                Set the log file size to about 15 % of the buffer pool size
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=10M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#                Set ..flush_log_at_trx_commit to 0 if you can afford losing
#                a few last transactions
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

>* Philip Molter
>* Texas.net Internet
>* http://www.texas.net/
>* [EMAIL PROTECTED]