We are trying to optimize mySQL.  Right now, the max_connections is set to
100.  We are only able to open 99 concurrent connections to the db, and even
then, some requests are unable to get a connection.  We'd like to be able to
scale that up, but mySQL doesn't like what we've done, as it won't start.

How do we optimize mySQL for connections?

We have moved the mysqld process up on priority (renice -3 -u mysql).
We have tried to:
specify the max_connections variable.  It's commented out (see below)
because mySQL won't start with this directive.  We also tried placing it in
the safe_mysqld section, but it doesn't get recognized when we restart mysql
and do a mysqladmin variables command.  What do we need to do to increase
this?

We have also tried to specify the open-files-limit variable, however, this
doesn't appear to be recognized either.

Here is a copy of the my.cnf file we are using:

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
log-bin