On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:38:42AM -0600, Kim Albee wrote:
> We are trying to optimize mySQL.  Right now, the max_connections is set to
> 100.  We are only able to open 99 concurrent connections to the db, and even
> then, some requests are unable to get a connection.  We'd like to be able to
> scale that up, but mySQL doesn't like what we've done, as it won't start.
>
> How do we optimize mySQL for connections?

Increase the max_connections variable as described in the manual.

> We have moved the mysqld process up on priority (renice -3 -u
> mysql).

Shouldn't be necessary at all.

> We have tried to: specify the max_connections variable.  It's
> commented out (see below) because mySQL won't start with this
> directive.  We also tried placing it in the safe_mysqld section, but
> it doesn't get recognized when we restart mysql and do a mysqladmin
> variables command.  What do we need to do to increase this?

When MySQL didn't start, what did the error log say?

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 28 days, processed 596,190,310 queries (243/sec. avg)