use --socket instead of -P would solve your problem.

without -h, socket file is used for connection. since you've not specified the socket
file, the default socket file path is used (in some case, /tmp/mysql.sock). that's why
you're always shutting down the first one.

Happy new year.

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 12:08:20PM +0200, Emmanuel van der Meulen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm in a spot, I'm managing to successfully run several instances of MySQL,
> say on port=3306 and port=3308.
>
> When I use shutdown, the instance which started first shuts down.
>
> To shutdown the instance started on port 3306, I use;
> mysqladmin -P 3306 -u root -p2000 shutdown
>
> And to shutdown the instance started on port 3308, I use;
> mysqladmin -P 3308 -u root -p2000 shutdown
>
> However, the instance which started first is always the instance which shuts
> down, irrespective of the port number I provide.
>
> Could someone please advise and/or point me.
>
> Thank you provisionally for any assistance.
>
> Kind regards
> Emmanuel

Sammy Lau
mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]