Richard --
You could do both, I would be a lot quicker to import data than  restore
from tape. Say do an incremental dump back to your last level 0. Which
would be helpfull to developers as well as youself. You could also use
a seperate partition for the data directory and back that up.

The subject of backups falls under the same catagory  as: sport,relegion and
politics.... isn't discussed in polite company.

Have I confused you yet :)
David